Name: Gardy V. Guerrier
City/Country: Brooklyn, by way of Haiti. A town other than Port Au Prince.
Occupation: Image Consultant and Fashion Columnist
Website/Links: Google may know something.
Passport Stamps: France, Italy, Spain, Costa Rica, Norway, Belize, Macchu Pichu/Peru, Brasil, Haiti, and a ton of other places that have made me the man I am.
1. My Best Travel Memory So Far: To date the best thing that has ever happened to me on a trip was landing in Rome, and three hours later randomly meeting a woman on the street who gave me one of the best 48 hours, and birthdays of my life. Those hours that followed were filled with amazing food, dancing, taking multiple bottles of wine to the head at the same damn time, almost being arrested for riding our Vespa into Vatican city, and sleeping on a rooftop overlooking the Trevi Fountain. Did I mention we never actually told each other our real names? Yea, that was a good two days.
2. Favorite Hotel & Why: I have never been a hotel person, however in Peru I decided to heed the wise guidance of a good friend and book a stay at the Tambo Del Inka Resort & Spa for the day/night after I had climbed Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu. Thank God for friends. Sometimes they know what you need better than you do. This place was amazing! Great staff, rooms, and the spa was just what I needed after that long, hard, arduous climb.
3. My Must-haves On Any Flight Are: 1. Music, I will go mad without the distraction of music. I bring my iPod, laptop, music on my Blackberry, and at least two sets of headphones in case one breaks. 2. The exit row. I am 6’2, wide, and don’t have a first class budget. 3. Vick’s Cold and Flu pills. They knock me the hell out. For anyone reading this who has, or will end up sitting next to me on a flight, I apologize for the snoring. 4. A good book that I will probably not read, it just helps to know it’s there in case all other options fail. 5. New socks. Because I’m taking my shoes off, and I’m not in the mood for your dirty looks if they have holes in them. 6. Mellow Yellow. My yellow giraffe head shapped neck pillow, which my youngest goddaughter gave me for my birthday five years ago, and I’ve taken on every trip around the world since.
4. When I’m On The Road, I Absolutely Hate: People who assume the only reason I’m in their country is because I’m an athlete or a rapper. Do I look like I workout?!
5. My Dream Destination or Vacation: As you read this, I would have just lived out my dream, since the age of 14, of praying at the Blue Mosque in Istanbul, as Malcolm X once did.
6. The Three Things I Can’t Travel Without: 1. A white dress shirt. It works for every destination and/or occasion that may arise. 2. iPod: I need my music. 3. My WorldMate app. I have the worst memory on earth and I lose shit. It keeps all the details of my trips organized in one place. It also has a bunch of other nifty tools that comes in handy while abroad.
7. Top Lesson Learned While Traveling: Things will not go as planned. How well you react in those moments will determine how amazing a time you have.
Already on your second or third passport? Join the Travel Seven and submit your answers today to firstname.lastname@example.org—if we like them we will post on here on Parlour!
Last 5 posts by Parlour
- Chicken & Ginger Chips and Fulani Flavors: A Taste Of Ghana - May 4th, 2019
- The Travel Seven: Dee Olateru - December 9th, 2018
- The #TravelFlySolo19 Tour du Maroc Is Here! - September 3rd, 2018
- The Travel Seven: Kristen Wiggins - January 28th, 2018
- The Travel Seven: Kamerin Chambers - October 11th, 2017