Why did you choose to stop prosecuting and solely defend?
I never wanted to prosecute when I first came to the Bar nor could I ever see myself doing it. Later I realised the importance of having fair minded prosecutors fulfilling that role as well as how useful it would be to prosecute as well as defend in terms of gaining experience on both sides. Essentially though I came to a point where I wasn’t enjoying prosecuting anymore and didn’t feel professionally stimulated by it so I made the decision to stop.
What are five successful tips you would give to young women entering the world of law?
1. Be prepared to put the work in.
2. If you think you can do it, anyone who says you can’t is lying.
3. Find allies.
4. Build networks with your contemporaries.
5. Don’t be put off or put out by the “self-puff” of your male colleagues.
In what other ways are you an advocate for the people?
I don’t see myself as an advocate for the people. I do always aim to encourage and instill in people I come into contact with (and who may feel disempowered) the ways they can express themselves or at least be conscious of what they want for themselves.
What do you do to relax?
Talk to my mum, listen to music, chill with good friends and read.
What’s your favorite travel destination?
What inspires you?
My own dreams, and other people’s success.
What’s the biggest lesson you’ve learned from a failure?
It’s never the end of the world!
What do you look forward to discussing in the I’mPOSSIBLE panel?
The journeys of my fellow panellists. I’m always fascinated in hearing about other people’s life stories and especially the stories of women.
On March 8, the sevent I’mPOSSIBLE Conversation will take place at Southbank Centre in London, UK. As the exclusive digital media partner, we will be running a series of Parlour MAVEN profiles on each of the speakers in the weeks leading up to the event. For more information on how you can attend, visit i-am-possible.com.
Last 5 posts by Hillary Crosley
- Your Weekend Getaway In...Dutchess County, NY! - June 22nd, 2018
- Hotel Love: The Old Rhinebeck Inn - May 13th, 2018
- Cyber Monday Is Coming, Travel Deals Are Here! - November 20th, 2017
- Flying With Kids: The Good, The Bad, The Body Fluids - December 22nd, 2016
- Here's How Not to Ride a Bike in Amsterdam - October 24th, 2016